love letters to my wife

Love letters to my wife cause it's never too early to tell her I love her.

Name:
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States

I have taught school for over thirty years always in the inner city and for the most part always upper grade students. I have two children and I have been married for twenty years.

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Help

When I discovered my students were way behind in math--and you know I'm not the math teacher--I raised alarms everywhere. I'm so glad you're my wife. You told me we had been building the roof before we had built a foundation. How apt. And how right.

How could anyone expect my students to do prealgebra if they were still struggling with regrouping and long division? How did anyone expect them to do equations when they were stuck on X always being the symbol for multiplication? What's a variable? they asked.

Yes, you have to build the walls before you put on the roof and you have to build a foundation before you build the walls.

This is how our love is. One brick at a time. One piece of wood. One nail. One hammer. One piece of window pane.

Eventually you get there, and the door is open, and you are waiting at the threshold, and everything is exactly how it has to be.

Love forever and always, Michael

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home